This guide is a starting point for finding books, articles, images and more in your research in Art and Art History.
Last Updated: Nov 12, 2013
Welcome to the Art and Art History Research Guide! This is a starting point for help with projects in art and art history.
If you would like to schedule a research appointment, please contact the librarian, or call the library.
The Research Process
- Formulate your question -- list key words to use in your searches
- Find background information (see Reference section below)
- Refine your search topic
- Consider your resource options -- what type of materials do you need to answer your questions? Books, magazines, primary sources, etc?
- Select and use the appropriate research tool (such as books or article databases in GALILEO)
- Locate your materials
- Analyze your materials
- Organize and write your paper
- Compose your bibliography and cite your work properly
For more detailed help with the research process, see USG's Starting Your Search.
The databases listed here are part of the database offerings in GALILEO, Georgia's Virtual Library
- American National Biography
The American National Biography is a biographical encyclopedia of significant persons, no longer living, who have influenced the direction of American history. Many of the 17,435 original biographies include an illustration or photograph of the person.
- Oxford Dictionary of National Biography
"Contains biographies of 55,000 people who shaped the history of Britain and beyond."
- The Encyclopædia Britannica
The Encyclopædia Britannica database includes thousands of articles from the printed Encyclopædia Britannica, including thousands more that are not found in the print set.
- History Reference Center
History Reference Center is a full-text history reference database designed for secondary schools, public libraries, junior/community colleges, and undergraduate research. The database features reference books, encyclopedias, non-fiction books, and history periodicals as well as thousands of historical documents, biographies of historical figures, photos, maps, and over 80 hours of historical video.
Philip Weltner Library
404-364-8506 (reference)Send Email