Beginning Your Project
The Research Process
- Formulate your question -- list key words to use in your searches
- Find background information (see Selected Reference Titles above)
- Refine your search topic
- Consider your resource options -- what type of materials do you need to answer your questions? Books, magazines, primary sources, etc?
- Select and use the appropriate research tool (such as books or article databases in GALILEO)
- Locate your materials
- Analyze your materials
- Organize and write your paper
- Compose your bibliography and cite your work properly
For more detailed help with the research process, see USG's Starting Your Search.
If you need assistance with your research, email the librarian, call the library, or stop by the library for a reference appointment!
Oglethorpe students in a science laboratory, 1951. Original image taken by Edmund Bator for the Yamacraw yearbook, donated to the Oglethorpe Archives, 2007. Digital image copyright 2010, Oglethorpe University.