Interlibrary Loan (ILL) - How to Request Materials
How to Request Materials
- First, verify that the material is not available in our library. Use the Journal Finder for periodicals and the Online Catalog for books.
- Submit an online Request Form (Submit a separate form for each item you are requesting). You may also email your request to the ILL Manager. In order to avoid processing delays, your email should include all the information required on the request form.
- You will be notified via the contact information you provided when your material arrives. Please contact Interlibrary Services if you wish to know the status of a request.
- You may not request material that we own, unless it is lost or missing. If the item you need is checked out, request a recall from the circulation desk.
- Many libraries will not lend audio/visual titles, textbooks, new publications, items in use, or non-circulating materials. Copyright restrictions also prevent many libraries from providing photocopies of online journal articles.
- Textbooks may not be requested.
- Materials may take up to 2 weeks to arrive depending on processing and/or delivery. If you need material faster than this, you should consider your options through Interlibrary Use (see Interlibrary Use tab above).
- Some libraries charge for requests. Libraries within our consortium (ARCHE) will not charge us, but many other institutions will. We pass these charges on to students, but not to faculty and staff. You should indicate on the request form the maximum you are willing to pay. The library pays for articles up to $15.00. If the amount charged is more than that, we will contact the student.
- Loan periods for items are usually 8 weeks but are determined by the lending library.
- Renewals are determined by the lending library, but requests must be made before the items are due.
Oglethorpe University students, faculty, and staff may obtain materials from other libraries through the Interlibrary Services department. In order to use these services, your library account must be active and in good standing (your account is not blocked).
Interlibrary Loan is a service that allows you to borrow materials from other libraries without having to visit them. You may request books, journal articles, microfiche, dissertations, and other materials not available in Philip Weltner Library. Once the material arrives, you may pick it up at the circulation desk.