Last Updated: Sep 26, 2012
The tutorials on the following pages are intended to offer introductory information on research methods and searching article databases.
Begin by choosing the type of tutorial desired by clicking on the appropriate tabs above. These tutorials require sound.
Please Ask the Librarian for additional help or to schedule a research appointment.
GALILEO stands for Georgia Library Learning Online. GALILEO is essentially a portal through which you can access more than one hundred article databases -- each of which can contain thousands of full-text articles and citations.
Most of these tutorials are produced by GALILEO and are linked to YouTube. They require sound.
Two-Minute Tour of GALILEO
- "A short overview of the GALILEO Scholar interface that introduces search options and other features for finding articles and journals."
Getting Better Results in GALILEO Search
- "This tutorial covers strategies to refine or enlarge your search to retrieve the best results."
Finding Peer-Reviewed Articles in GALILEO
- "Tutorial to help GALILEO users find scholarly or peer-reviewed articles in subscription databases."
Finding the Best Databases in GALILEO
- "GALILEO is your portal to hundreds of databases containing articles, books, images, and more. This tutorial provides a few tips to help you make the best database choices for your needs."
The Great GALILEO Tutorial
- "This unit walks you through GALILEO. What it is, what's in it, how to navigate it and how to search it to find what you need." This is written tutorial by USG includes images to illustrate instructions.
Need help with a particular database? Try one of these tutorials. If you are off campus, some of these tutorials require the GALILEO password.
- JSTOR Tutorial
How to search JSTOR.
- Business Source Complete Basic Searching
This three minute tutorial demonstrates basic searching in Business Source Complete.
- Business Source Complete Thesaurus Tutorial
A four minute tutorial that describes how to utilize the thesaurus function to find subject terms for more effective searches in Business Source Complete.
- ERIC Basic Searching
This four minute tutorial explains basic searching in ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center).
- ERIC Thesaurus Tutorial
This tutorial demonstrates thesaurus searching in ERIC (Educational Resources Information Center). The thesaurus can be a powerful way to find articles.
- MEDLINEplus Introduction
MEDLINEplus is published by the National Library of Medicine and contains reliable information on medical-related conditions and treatments. This
- PubMed Tutorial
This tutorial helps one to understand PubMed's scope and content and how the MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) vocabulary is used to describe and retrieve citations.
This four minute tutorial demonstrates basic searching, subject headings, and the folder system in PsycINFO.
- PsycINFO Thesaurus Tutorial
A two minute tutorial that shows how to use the thesaurus function in PsycINFO to find subject headings useful to your searches.