To start the research process:
- Gather background information if you do not know much about your topic of interest (utilize the "Find Reference Sources" tab above).
- Next, think about your specific topic and what keywords you need to search. Before beginning to search the catalog and article databases, make a list of keywords to use in your searches. For each keyword, think of several synonyms to also search (for example, Southern literature, literature of the American south, Southern states literature). Try using the keywords and synonyms in different searches to maximize the number of results you receive.
- Many excellent historical analyses and historical accounts have been published in books. Go to the "Books" tab above for a link to our Catalog, and also suggested Subject Headings, which are very helpful.
- Also search at least 3 or 4 recommended article databases with your keywords and synonyms. See the "Articles" tab above for links to databases.
- For statistics, utilize the "Data and Statistics" tab.
If at any point you need assistance, stop by the Library or email us.